Residency report: Kathryn Cowen

Kathryn Cowen and Natalya Shinn at Gunyah

It is with thanks and gratitude that I reflect on my time at Gunyah. What an unexpected gift it was to step away from the craziness of 2020 life to spend a couple of weeks immersed in my practice at such a special place.

Exploring North Arm Cove near Gunyah

After a few long walks to soak in the surrounding bush and beaches, breathing deeply and fossicking for treasures, I settled into the studio to start drawing and constructing small sculptures. It was a time of play and experimentation interspersed with long chats with my dear friend and fellow artist Natalya Shinn who came along to keep me company.

Fossicking for treasures at a beach nearby

Combining natural materials that I found in the local area such as rocks, driftwood, seed pods, shells and twigs, with synthetic materials that I had brought along with me such as string, feathers, fabric, paint, plastic, beads and polymer clay; I pondered the future of biological forms. A collection of specimens emerged.

Kathryn Cowen, Work in progress - Biofuture Specimens, 2020

The world and how we live in it has changed this year. I am curious as to how our relationship with each other and our environment will adapt as a result. I can only hope it is for the better.

Kathryn Cowen, Work in progress - Biofuture Specimens, under UV light, 2020

Thank you to Kath Fries and the Gunyah Collective for the opportunity to take part in this residency. My cup is full and I am excited to be back in my studio exploring the possibilities generated by the Biofuture Specimens made at Gunyah for an exhibition in 2021.

Kathryn Cowen
October 2020

Kathryn Cowen, Work in progress - Biofuture Specimens, under UV light (detail), 2020