Residency report: Taryn Raffan

From the moment I arrived after dark and seeing the wooden Gunyah sign at the beginning of the drive I knew I was in for an exceptional treat on my residency. I woke to the local birds singing through their morning songs, beautiful sunshine with the occasional rainy day (which was just as special) and taking in the calming waters which incapsulated my every glance outward. I went walking and swimming most days at a nearby beach named Jimmy’s and learnt to understand the subtle variations in wind at Gunyah meant the beach was a no go. I observed the tides which are ever so present from the pier and really became interested in the intersection of the water and land meeting. It was so special to be able to look out upon a vast natural setting, especially reflecting upon my tiny apartment back in Brisbane which overlooks car parks, roofs and cement. My time at Gunyah really afforded me space, tranquility and an opportunity to look at my art making a little differently all whilst preparing for an upcoming exhibition.


Gunyah residency report, July 2023

Taryn Raffan