Emily Valentine Bullock: Hand Bagged, 2011

Emily Valentine Bullock, Hand Bagged #1, 2011

Hand Bagged, 2011, Emily Valentine Bullock

In October 2011, I was artist-in-residence at Gunyah at North Arm Cove, Port Stephens. I went there with the intention of pushing myself in a new direction, to do something new and extend my photography practice.

The resulting series of photographs, titled "Hand Bagged", shows people wearing handbags around their necks. Through these images I aim to show how the handbag is like jewellery – it has the status and power relating to design and manufacturing, what it is made of, how it is worn and carried. Is the handbag itself valuable or just a chain around our necks? With these images I wanted to create the feeling of burden (which I don’t think I captured) and the ridiculousness of our need to carry our lives with us constantly.

I choose the bush garden as the backdrop and let my friends’ select their own pose and bag. I am in the first and last photos.
(Emily Valentine, December 2011)

To see more of Emily's work go to www.emilyvalentine.com.au


Emily Valentine Bullock, Hand Bagged #2, 2011

Emily Valentine Bullock, Hand Bagged #3, 2011

Emily Valentine Bullock, Hand Bagged #4, 2011

Emily Valentine Bullock, Hand Bagged #5, 2011

Emily Valentine Bullock, Hand Bagged #6, 2011

Emily Valentine Bullock, Hand Bagged #7, 2011

Emily Valentine Bullock, Hand Bagged #8, 2011

Emily Valentine Bullock, Hand Bagged #9, 2011

Emily Valentine Bullock, Hand Bagged #10, 2011

Emily Valentine Bullock, Hand Bagged #11, 2011

Emily Valentine Bullock, Hand Bagged #12, 2011