Michelle Brodie: artist-in-residence April 2012

Michelle Brodie, working at the waters edge in front of Gunyah, April 2012

My first days were spent at the water’s edge, a short stroll from the studio.  I liked drawing the mountain opposite the house, Fame Mountain, if my map reading serves me.

Michelle Brodie, working at the waters edge in front of Gunyah, April 2012

I was fascinated with the water for days and boats filled with families and fishermen, holiday-makers and boat owners.  I made many drawings and watched and watched the tide swallow up the rocks. It rained after a time, which prompted a move inside and studio painting using the drawings from the waterfront. 

Michelle Brodie, working in the Gunyah studio, April 2012

The studio looking out to the boats and water was one of the chief delights of Gunyah and influenced how I used my time and the work I created. 

Michelle Brodie, Gunyah night-time watercolours, April 2012

I painted 40 wood panels at Gunyah, a series of watercolour drawings by night, as well as drawings by the water. The wood panels will be shown at a Newcastle ARI gallery in August 2012.

Michelle Brodie, Gunyah painting i, April 2012
Michelle Brodie, Gunyah painting ii, April 2012


Gunyah house has to be one of the loveliest settings for art practice; stylish, private, comfortable and surrounded by trees inviting contemplation.
Michelle Brodie
Gunyah artist-in-residence
April 2012

Michelle Brodie, Gunyah studio, April 2012

To see more of Michelle Brodie's work have a look at her blog www.michellebrodieartist.blogspot.com.au