Bridget Kennedy: artist-in-residence August 2016

My time spent at Gunyah was an opportunity to sync back into my natural life rhythm. Without the daily demands of a family and gallery business, or the distractions of city life, I found myself early to bed, early to wake, without the need to eat until lunch time, no desire for alcohol or sugar.

Bridget Kennedy, Gunyah jetty
The location gave me the space to spread out creatively, both mentally and physically, with working areas for specific projects spread throughout the house. I was able to freely move from one project to another as my mood  directed. It was a rare moment of time to fully focus on my practice and the process of creativity. I found the time to submit an exhibition proposal to a gallery in Victoria, finished the next step of my ‘choice mate’ project, commenced a new body of work, caught up on reading and took the first steps to curating a group exhibition. 

Bridget Kennedy, work in progress, Gunyah 2016
When I recall my time at North Arm Cove I think of the ‘ghost roads’….the memory of driving slowly along a road that existed on maps, but that led directly into mangrove swamps, the formal grid like imprints on the bush landscape with their suburban streets, circuits and parades, echoing the past ideas of Walter Burley Griffin and his plan for North Arm Cove as the possibility for the Nation’s Capital.

Bridget Kennedy, work in progress, Gunyah 2016
Bridget Kennedy
Gunyah residency report, August 2016