Ramana Dienes-Browning: artist-in-residence August 2017


Ramana Dienes-Browning, Gunyah August 2017

Gunyah was a sensory paradise for writing. I decided to use my time there researching and script writing about the antagonists in my film, Imra’s Ocean, which I really wanted to understand at a three dimensional level. In the rich quiet of this space I was able to think very deeply about the motivations of the original Patriarchs, the Sun Worshiping horsemen who gave Old Europe their very first taste of violence and war on which my antagonists are based.

Ramana Dienes-Browning, Gunyah August 2017
After a lot of reading, listening to the waves of North Arm Cove, running on the beach with my dogs and playing silly games by the fire with my daughter it was clear that when we strip away life’s complications at it’s base is a desire for connection with what and who we hold dear. My violent patriarchs were no different, they were protecting their beliefs, lovers, children and longevity yet in doing this destroying the peaceful matrilineal society which had thrived for thousands of years. I no longer hated them, I still felt a deep pain for what they had done, but now I wrote the scenes with empathy. The journey of writing Imra’s Ocean continues with a deeper understanding of what and who I am writing about. 

Thank you to Gunyah for this priceless time and place.

Ramana Dienes-Browning
Gunyah residency report, August 2017

Ramana Dienes-Browning, Gunyah August 2017