Residency report: Sylvia Griffin

Sylvia Griffin, Gunyah AIR August 2018

The residency at Gunyah was the perfect place to unwind from the day-to-day stresses of city commitments and concentrate on my work. The only interruptions were from birdlife in the trees outside my window and the siren call of the sun-drenched deck! I set up my desk in front of the upstairs window to maximise my view of the treetops and have easy access to the deck.

Sylvia Griffin, Gunyah AIR August 2018
Sylvia Griffin, Gunyah AIR August 2018

I was able to do some research reading and to write a conference paper in my time there. I was then free to plan artworks for upcoming shows. My days were fairly disciplined – mainly spent at my desk with occasional walks down to the jetty to commune with pelicans and white-faced herons – or gathering kindling for the nightly fire. Nights were spent reading in front of the fire, eating and playing board games with Robert – when he wasn’t in Sydney working.

Sylvia Griffin, Gunyah AIR August 2018

Gunyah holds a very special place in my heart and I hope to return sometime the near future. Thanks for the wonderful opportunity!

Sylvia Griffin
www.sylviagriffin.com.au

Sylvia Griffin, Gunyah AIR August 2018