Residency report: Patricia Petersen

Up until this year I had been living in Armidale and 2020 had been a trying year for many in regional NSW with drought, bushfires and smoke. The vegetation was recovering and rejuvenating, when Covid struck both attacking bodies and people’s sense of well being. 2021 has also been disorientating and exhausting year for me as we sold our home of many years in Armidale, moving twice before settling into our new home on the NSW north coast. I was still unpacking boxes in my home studio when I took off to do the Gunyah Artists Residency. It was an absolute delight to set up in the well-lit Gunyah studio which had an inspiring outlook. Gunyah provided a welcome elixir and antidote to all the recent upheavals I’d experienced. I felt safe, cocooned, and nurtured in this peaceful, idyllic space. 

Patricia Petersen, Gunyah views, July 2021


Gunyah was a totally different environment to any I had stayed in before, with its tranquil ambiance and mesmerising views, it started to work its magic immediately. Living so close to the water with the gentle sound of it lapping on the shore, the strong smell of bush plants, the many bird calls, the look and feel of the different textures and dappled light, heightened my senses and gave me an increased awareness of my surroundings. I was inspired to respond to this environment and ‘bottle it’ for my memory, as well as for reference for future artworks. As a result, I have come away with a swath of drawings and paintings made using charcoal, pencil, pens, watercolours, and Asian ink on drawing papers, Arches watercolour paper, raw canvas and rice paper.


Patricia Petersen, Gunyah wattle, July 2021

The subject matter and inspiration came from the immediate Gunyah environment. The newly blossoming wattle, the tall gums and their leaves, the hill across from the jetty, the water and the oyster shell laced coloured rocks outside and in the water glistening with light caught my imagination. I even used the water that I scooped up from the near the jetty to mix my paints and inks. I not only wanted Gunyah to be a muse, but to be part of the artworks themselves.


Patricia Petersen, Gunyah water, July 2021


I had friendly visits from the local wildlife, like the young Kookaburra and Pied Butcher bird that sat on the verandahs as various times, and I was excited when I heard dolphins breathing and saw them swim by whilst painting near the jetty. Friends from Taree that I hadn’t seen for many years spent a day with me and we had a delicious French lunch at Tillermans at Tea Gardens.

In the evenings in front of the cosy log fire burner, instead of watching TV serials in the evening I recorded my day and read 'The Last Painting of Sara De Vos' by Australian writer Dominic Smith.

I have come away refreshed and revitalised with a wealth of reference drawings and paintings. I recorded my response and impressions of Gunyah and value the new ideas for future paintings the experience has given me. As importantly, it has also given me a clearer picture of where my art practice is heading.

Patricia Petersen, Gunyah residency report, July 2021


Patricia Petersen, Self-portait at Gunyah, July 2021